We just never know what kind of winter is coming our way. Your best option is to expect the worst and prepare for it. If it turns out it isn’t so bad, great! But, if it does get dicey, you can take comfort knowing you and your home are well-prepared. You don’t want to be one of the many people scrambling to find supplies in the middle of a storm when everything is sold out. Our team at Greenwood Hardware can help you find what you need to get ready.
- Have a good snow shovel on hand. There are several kinds to choose from. It doesn’t hurt to have one of each! A curved shovel is great for clearing a pathway by pushing. The flat is great for digging out—watch your back. Metal shovels are a little heavier but can be far more durable.
- Ice melt for those slippery walkways. A non-toxic is best. Better yet, look for some rock salt. If you have pets, never use ice melt that is packed with chemicals. You can track it on your carpet, the pets walk on it with their feet and then lick their feet.
- A snow blower is a lovely tool to have and can save you the backbreaking work of shoveling. You can choose from gas or electric, depending on what your needs are.
- A roof rake is only necessary if you live in an area where heavy snow is a possibility, and your roof is not sloped enough for the snow to slide off.
Along with those basic supplies, you will also want to have a few other things on hand, just in case Mother Nature gets a little wild and delivers a winter storm that interrupts life as we know it.
- Non-perishable foods, like canned goods. Just in case the power does go out.
- Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should have fresh batteries, especially if you will be using a fireplace or wood stove to heat your home.
- Limb cutters may be necessary to trim trees that are heavy with ice or snow and threatening to fall on a walkway or your house. This should technically be done before a storm hits.
- Backup battery chargers for your cell phone.
- A generator is always nice to have just in case the power goes out.
Getting ready for winter is something that is best done early on. Don’t wait until the last minute! Head into Greenwood Hardware to pick up your supplies and ride out the rest of winter knowing you are ready. Come on in, or contact us today.