As we head into autumn, it is time to start thinking about the chores that will be occupying our weekends over the next month or so. There are some things you will want to do to give your yard a healthy boost before it goes dormant. This ensures next spring your lawn, trees and bushes are in good health and ready to bounce back to all their glory. There are a few things you will want to pick up at Greenwood Hardware to get ready for your fall cleanups.
- You will want a leaf rake or a leaf blower. You can find electric or gas-powered leaf blowers that make cleaning up the leaves a breeze. If you have a garden, use those leaves as mulch. Spread the leaves over your tilled garden beds and spread under fruit trees and bushes. The leaves will break down and feed the soil, giving your soil a healthy boost for spring planting.
- Heavy-duty leaf bags or outdoor garbage bags are a must. This allows you to dispose of the trimming, clippings and general yard trash that tends to accumulate over the summer. Follow proper disposal protocols.
- Plant bulbs in those bare flower beds to ensure you have a lovely display of color in the spring. Crocus, tulips, and daffodils all need to get in the ground now to ensure they are ready for spring blooming. This is also a great time to divide bulbs like irises.
- As your lawn prepares to go dormant, spreading a weed and feed-type fertilizer is a good idea. This will help take care of some of those broadleaf weeds that have been a pest all summer while giving your grass a last dose of nutrition.
- Cut those limbs that could come down under a heavy snowfall or ice storm. If the limbs you need to trim are bigger than six inches around, you will want to use a chainsaw. Pruning your trees now, before they snap in the winter cold, will save on spring cleanup as well.
Fall cleanup is a great way to enjoy the cool, comfortable air before the rains and bitter cold blow in. Head into Greenwood Hardware to pick up the tools, bulbs, and fertilizer you need to give your lawn and landscaping a proper send off. Stop on in, or contact us today!