Every season there are new trends in home decorating ideas. Right now, the latest trend is elaborate, colorful outdoor rugs. Outdoor rugs are essentially nothing more than a painted cement slab on a patio or a wood deck. They are a fun way to brighten up a space and give it your own creative touch. The best thing about the painted rugs is you can change them up whenever you feel like it. You can get the whole family involved in this project to really make it your own. Our team at Greenwood Hardware can help you find exactly what you need to get started.
Tools and Supplies
- Exterior paint in a variety of colors
- Paint brushes
- Marking pencil/pen
- Painter’s tape
- Paint roller
- Decide what kind of design you are going to paint your rug. It can be a simple square or more elaborate with zig-zags, lines or big circles.
- Wash the area you are going to be painting and allow to dry overnight.
- Use a straightedge and pencil to outline your rug. Use a smaller ruler or some other stencil to trace the designs you will paint into the rug.
- Outline each pencil mark with painter’s tape.
- Paint your rug! Use several coats if you are painting wood. The wood will absorb the first layer or two of paint.
- If you want the rug to stay nice and bright for a long time, add a coat of polyurethane over the rug to seal it in.
That’s it! It is that simple to create a cool piece of art on your deck or patio. It takes your outdoor living space to a whole new level. Your friends will be asking you how you did it. Make sure you head to Greenwood Hardware to pick up the paint and other tools needed to work on your painted rug this weekend. Come on in, or contact us today.