With the cooler weather upon us, it is time to focus our attention on the indoors. One area of the house that may have been ignored throughout the spring and summer was the garage. Your garage may be in need of a makeover! If you avoid opening the door to the street because you are embarrassed by the clutter or you walk into the garage and spend 30 minutes looking for that one thing, you are probably in need of a garage makeover. The following tips will help you transform your cluttered garage into a workable space you can be proud of. You will find all the tools you need to do your garage makeover at Greenwood Hardware.
1. Peg boards are great for hanging tools like hammers, wrenches and pliers. They are in plain view and make it easy to grab what you need and go. You can help the whole family remember where the tools belong by painting outlines of the tools in the area where they should be hanging. Use a pencil to trace the outline of the tool and then pick a fun color of paint to fill it in. You will know right where to place your tools after use.
2. Place hooks along one wall to hang things like your yard tools, ladder, ropes and even your bikes. Hanging the items keeps the center of your garage free of clutter and makes it easy to find what you need without wading through boxes of stuff.
3. Organize your garage into sections. Keep outdoor toys in one area, yard maintenance items in another and your holiday decorations in another. If you like the idea of keeping your garage fun and whimsical, create signs to hang on the perspective walls so everybody knows right where to look.
4. Use the ceiling! How much wasted space is above your head? Hooks can be used to hang items or overhead racks are also an option. Use the ceiling space to store items you rarely need or that can be easily grabbed, like a bike off a hook. If you have exposed beams in your garage, skis, ladders and other items can be put through the beams and laid across.
5. Invest in sturdy shelves to store boxes and rubber totes. Label your totes and group like items together. Take advantage of the space under the shelves as well. Hang items from the sides of the shelf or hang pegboards.
Your garage is an excellent space to store items as well as work on your favorite hobby. Your first step in your garage makeover is going to be removing some of the clutter. Plan a day with the whole family helping to clean out the garage so you can transform it into a usable space. Once you have determined what you need, head on down to Greenwood Hardware to pick up all the supplies you need to makeover your garage. If you have questions, we are here for you. Come on in, or contact us online.