We just never know what kind of winter is coming our way. Your best option is to expect the worst and prepare for it. If it turns out it isn’t so bad, great! But, if it does get dicey, you can take comfort knowing you and your home are well-prepared. You don’t want to be one of the many people scrambling to find supplies in the middle of a storm when everything is sold out. Our team at Greenwood Hardware can help you find what you need to get ready.
- Have a good snow shovel on hand. There are several kinds to choose from. It doesn’t hurt to have one of each! A curved shovel is great for clearing a pathway by pushing. The flat is great for digging out—watch your back. Metal shovels are a little heavier but can be far more durable.
- Ice melt for those slippery walkways. A non-toxic is best. Better yet, look for some rock salt. If you have pets, never use ice melt that is packed with chemicals. You can track it on your carpet, the pets walk on it with their feet and then lick their feet.
- A snow blower is a lovely tool to have and can save you the backbreaking work of shoveling. You can choose from gas or electric, depending on what your needs are.
- A roof rake is only necessary if you live in an area where heavy snow is a possibility, and your roof is not sloped enough for the snow to slide off.
Along with those basic supplies, you will also want to have a few other things on hand, just in case Mother Nature gets a little wild and delivers a winter storm that interrupts life as we know it.
- Non-perishable foods, like canned goods. Just in case the power does go out.
- Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should have fresh batteries, especially if you will be using a fireplace or wood stove to heat your home.
- Limb cutters may be necessary to trim trees that are heavy with ice or snow and threatening to fall on a walkway or your house. This should technically be done before a storm hits.
- Backup battery chargers for your cell phone.
- A generator is always nice to have just in case the power goes out.
Getting ready for winter is something that is best done early on. Don’t wait until the last minute! Head into Greenwood Hardware to pick up your supplies and ride out the rest of winter knowing you are ready. Come on in, or contact us today.
Now is a great time to spend some time indoors organizing all the stuff we tend to accumulate, especially after the holidays. If you spent a little too much time hunting down extension cords, untangling lights and searching through bins looking for decorations, you need some help organizing. Our team at Greenwood Hardware has just what you need to turn that messy garage, attic or storage closet into one that is neat and tidy.
- Plastic storage totes are awesome! You can organize your stuff by season or activity. Use a big permanent marker or invest in a label maker and label each tote. Slide the tote onto a shelf with the label facing you. You can also stack these totes if the items are not too heavy.
- Peg boards are perfect for attaching hangers that hold your tools and thing like extension cords. Use labels to identify where an item should be placed or have some fun and paint the outline of the tool.
- Buy sturdy shelving systems for the garage or attic to keep things off the ground and being tossed into a pile. Shelves make a huge difference in making a space appear bigger and more organized.
- Use those walls! Hooks and floating shelves are a great way to store things off the ground and out of the way. Things like rakes, brooms and even bikes can be hung on a wall to save floor space.
- A trash can or old barrel can be used to store all those yard tools in one place. Shovels, rakes and so on call all be stored, handle side down so you can see each tool. It keeps them in one spot and out of the way.
- Holiday storage containers designed for your wreaths, ornaments and wrapping paper are very handy to have and can keep your decorations in great shape without fear of being smashed.
The most important key to getting organized is clearing out the clutter. Get rid of things that are broken and unfixable, as well as anything unusable or simply no longer needed around the house. Then head to Greenwood Hardware to pick up what you need to tidy up your home. Come on in, or contact us today.