A broken garbage disposal is one of those things that tends to get put off. It isn’t an absolute necessity, but it sure is nice to have! For many, the reason the broken garbage disposal gets ignored is because they think it is too hard or too costly to replace. It isn’t. With the tools you will find at your local Greenwood Hardware store, you can change out that old disposal in a single afternoon. This is a relatively quick and easy job and you will love getting to cross it off your to do list.
- Flip the breaker to the garbage disposal to cut the power. Check it to make sure it is off.
- Turn off both the water lines under the sink, the hot and cold water.
- Put a bowl under the disposal to catch any water that is in the pipe. Disconnect the drain tap from the disposal. Then disconnect the pipe that is attached to the disposal.
- Remove the dishwasher inlet hose if you have one.
- Use one hand to hold the disposal in place while you use your other hand to remove the screws that hold the disposal in place under the sink.
- Once it is off, you will need to disconnect the electrical portion on the disposal. What this step looks like will depend on the model you are working with.
- Pull out the wire nuts and disconnect the ground wire.
- If you will be putting in a new mounting assembly for your new garbage disposal, remove the old one. This is usually just a few more screws.
- Now, it is time to reverse what you just did and install the new garbage disposal. Always follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions to make sure you don’t miss a step.
That’s it! It is not an extremely difficult process. All you need are a few tools and a new disposal. Head into Greenwood Hardware today to pick up the tools you will need to take care of that broken garbage disposal this weekend.