A fountain in your landscaping is an excellent way to add a little beauty to your yard as well as a great way to attract birds and butterflies. Fountains can be adorned with pretty flowers and floating baubles for added beauty. If you have been dreaming of sitting next to your very own fountain in your backyard, now is the time to make it happen. You can build your own garden fountain this weekend. Head to Greenwood Hardware and pick up what you need to build your fountain. It is so rewarding to build something beautiful with your own two hands. Your friends and neighbors will be asking you how you managed to make something so awesome!
You only need a few actual materials to make your fountain. It will really depend on the type of fountain you are looking for. Some of the more common types are the bubbling urn or pot fountains. These are incredibly simple to make and can be placed nearly anywhere. The fountain is basically self-containing so you don’t need to worry about digging a large hole for a pond unless that is the kind of water feature you are going for. There are literally hundreds of different ways you can create a fountain to suit your own particular landscaping style.
We are going to include two different ways of creating a backyard fountain. Keep in mind; you can tweak these designs to suit your needs. Make them bigger, smaller or more intricate as you see fit.
- 5-gallon bucket
- Steel mesh wire (about 1 square foot)
- 1 Ceramic pot (size should be tall but no larger in circumference than the bucket)
- 1 shallow pot/bowl that will fit inside large pot
- Fountain pump
- Tubing (40 inches should be adequate, but it will depend on the height of your large pot)
- Dig a hole deep enough to place a 5-gallon bucket. The rim of the bucket should be even with the ground.
- Place the fountain pump into the bucket with the tube attached and leading out of the bucket.
- Place the mesh piece over the bucket opening. You will likely need to use wire cutters to make a hole big enough to pull the pump tube through.
- Insert the tube into the bottom of the largest pot. There should be a drainage hole.
- Place the large pot over the mesh with the tube going into the pot.
- Squeeze a line of silicone around the upper rim of the large pot.
- Place the shallow bowl inside the larger pot with the tube going through the drainage hole in the shallow bowl. The tube may need to be cut so it is flush with the opening in the shallow pot.
Allow the silicone to dry overnight and your fountain will be ready for use. You can put stones around the bottom of the pot to hide the bucket and make it look more natural. Fill the bucket with water (through the mesh grate) and turn on your pump. You have just created a work of beauty for your yard.
This is probably the simplest fountain you can make. It involves very little work on your part.
- Large outdoor pot in a bowl shape (sizes vary)
- Fountain pump
Place the bowl in the area you choose and insert the pump into the bowl. There is no need for a reservoir or tubing with this design. The pump will create an air stream that will bubble the water up, creating the look of a fountain. It is truly a no fuss no muss fountain. You can add rocks or flowers around the fountain to make it blend into your landscaping.
Your backyard fountain will offer you a place to unwind after a long day. The gurgling water is very soothing and will effectively drown out other sounds in the neighborhood. Head on into Greenwood Hardware and pick up what you need to create your own serene spot in your yard. And if you have any questions, we are here for you. Come on in, or contact us online today!